67yo female booked for bilateral TKR but “not if BMI > 40”
- Severe OA in knees and feet
- Mobilises with walking stick
- CFS 5
- BMI just under 40
- Appropriate to do bilateral TKR
- Patient wishes for bilateral procedure as she is the primary carer for her husband with melanoma and was distressed at prospect of delay to second TKR
- Frail older patient, recovery is likely to be slow, and her ability to support her husband (especially if she has a complication) may be severely impacted.
- Who is a good candidate for bilateral TKR?
- ASA 1-2
- Patients aged 50-60 or younger.
- Discuss concerns with surgeon. Likely unilateral TKR.